A Case Study will be held as an academic symposium during the midterms week to discuss various emerging technologies in the field of information security. Each group will be tasked to research on a specified topic, explore and answer key issues about the subject.
As its culminating activity, an academic paper with a required format will be submitted and a 15-minute presentation will be presentation will be presented with the classmates and special faculty and industry guests. Question and answer will be followed after the presentation.
- Security in Social Networking Sites
- Cite current issues pertaining to crimes/violations in social networking sites. Describe the usual scenarios.
- Show some statistics on social networking related crimes.
- What are the actions taken by social networking organizations and government agencies?
- How do you see the future of social networking sites? Future attacks and remedy?
- Mobile Malware
- Can mobile devices get infected by malware?
- State news about devices getting infected. What happens to these devices?
- Show statistics on mobile malware.
- Is there an initiative from AV companies and government about it?
- How do you prevent mobile devices from getting infected?
- Business Continuity Planning (BCP) for Disaster Prone Areas
- Cite news of business disruption due to a disaster and its effects on the business.
- Show statistics of business losses due to either natural or man-made disasters.
- Are there initiatives/laws that require businesses for BCP?
- Discuss usual business continuity planning and disaster management and recovery plans.
- Discuss any standard/template regarding BCP.
- Internet Surveillance
- Is Internet surveillance possible?
- What are ways to conduct Internet surveillance?
- What are limitations of current security capabilities?
- What are solutions for existing Internet surveillance?
- Cybercrime Laws and Issues (choose scope)
- Discuss current cybercrime laws. (if there are any)
- Discuss issues that warrant cybercrime laws. Prove that there is a need for these laws.
- Discuss limitations and or threats of these cybercrime laws.
- Discuss if there is a need for more laws.
- Security in Automated Controlled Vehicles
- What are automated controlled vehicles?
- Why is there a need for automated controlled vehicles?
- Research companies that are utilizing these types of vehicles.
- Research for news that show threats on automated controlled vehicles.
- Discuss solutions for automated controlled vehicles.
- History on the implementation of drones.
- News and development on drones.
- What are positive and negative issues (factual) on drones?
- Do drones bypass due process?
- Do drones violate privacy and freedom?
The Case Study is 10% of your final grade.
Group Grade is 70% (to be given by the professor)
Individual Grade is 30% (to be given by the group leader; leader gets 100% in the individual grade)
Content (Paper) – 50%
Is the paper complete and comprehensive?
Mastery – 30%
Is the group knowledgeable on the topic?
Did the group have the ability to analyze related real-world problems?
Did the group answer the related questions?
Delivery – 10%
Did the group communicate the message properly?
Presentation – 10%
Did the presentation contain creative and comprehensible visuals?
Required Sections in the Paper
|Abstract||Your abstract is a maximum of 200-word summary of your case study. It describes briefly about your topic and what you intend to research further. You are establishing the boundaries of your study in the abstract.
|Introduction||The introduction is a maximum of 300-word overview of the topic. This means you need to discuss the current technology of your topic. Discuss the features, benefits and limitations of the current technology.
|Problem Statement||Based on your introduction, you have to establish your problem statement. What are the problems or issues that the current technology is facing? You have to state that piece by piece and justify why it has to be resolved.
|Results and Discussion||Research and establish the solutions for the problems found in the problem statement. Explain processes and procedures of the solutions that you recommend and how it can be done.
|Conclusion and Recommendation||Provide a conclusion of the case study that you have conducted. Based on your study, will your solutions be helpful in resolving the issues in the problem statement? Give recommendations that can be further investigated and researched in the future to strengthen your study. Make sure the recommendation is out of the scope of your study.
|References||List all the references for your case study. You need to follow the IEEE reference format. For your guidance, you need to have at least:
Five (5) technical references related to the topic (journal, scientific publication, conference proceeding)
Five (5) news article reference related to the topic (newspaper, magazine)
Three (3) books related to the topic.
Note: Never plagiarize. It’s equivalent to cheating.
Format of paper: MSW_A4_format
For the presentation:
1. Create a presentation of your paper. It should be a summary of all sections: Abstract, Introduction, Problem Statement, Discussion, Conclusion.
2. Follow the 6×6 rule. Each slide should have a maximum of 6 bullet points with maximum of 6 words per bullet point.
3. Use interesting font/colors. Use images that will help explain your paper.
4. Everybody should have a part in the presentation.
5. You have 15 minutes to present your paper followed by Q&A.
6. Wear business attire for the presentation.
1. Send a PDF copy of your final paper and PPT presentation to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject- Case Study Final Deliverable – (Case topic) by Group (Group Name)
2. Print a hard copy of the paper.
3. Submit (1) & (2) requirements before the class.
On Internet Surveillance: Internet Surveillance
On Cybercrime Law: Revised-Cybercrime
On Mobile Malware: Mobile-Malware-A-Case-Study-in-Information-Security-1